(Written post-Wagah)
A Tale of Two Nations
Sunday, March 25th, Wagah Border Ceremony:
Cheers, drums, and music filled our
ears as we approached what seemed to be a cauldron of passion at the border
between India and Pakistan just west of Amritsar. As we entered, the sun was
picturesquely glistening over the twin stadiums at the border. Each arena
seemed to be designed specifically to upstage the other, with intense
militaristic imagery on both sides. On the road leading to the border, I couldn't help but feel that the event was almost treated as an advertisement for India’s
BSF (Border Security Force). In the stadium itself a massive poster, showcasing
the BSF’s top general and reading “India’s first line of defense,” was angled
directly at the seating of Pakistan’s border. Of course, Pakistan had its own
military recruitment imagery framed in an incredibly similar way, showing off
the Pakistan Rangers in English and Urdu. It was incredible how every single
aspect of the retreat ceremony was done with incredible cooperation from both
sides, yet with the goal of outdoing the other in displays of fervent
nationalism. This ran as deep as the angling of the speakers that projected
chants, with Indian viewers only able to hear “Vande Mataram!” and Pakistani viewers confined to “Pakistan Zindabad!”. Even in the rare moments where one side’s chant would briefly fall
silent, the sound of a roaring crowd would be blasted over the speakers simply
to block sound from the opposing side.
In many ways, the border ceremonyt reflected the nature of the two nations interestingly. On the Pakistani side,
the non-secular nature of the nation was displayed very clearly, with religious
chants being accepted as the norm and even verses of the Quran being recited
before the ceremony. This contrast was very prominent for me personally as half
of my family is Indian, and the other half is Pakistani. I joked with some
friends beforehand that I had better keep my mouth shut during the chanting for
fear of “choosing a side.” In a way it was almost sad, because it was a
physical manifestation of my identity displayed before me, but in the context of
rivalry and borderline hatred.
As I watched the ceremony unfold, I felt very
much caught in the crossfire. Although I have immense pride for both my Indian
and Pakistani heritage, I couldn’t participate in any of it as it was almost
explicitly deemed mutually exclusive. The only brief moment of unity between
the two nations was a firm handshake between two of the guards as the gate was
opened. Otherwise, the ceremony consisted of intense posturing, with guards on
both sides quite literally flexing their muscles at each other to the roars of
their compatriots.
Personally, I believe that this narrative of eternal
competition and otherness between is inherently false. Even in the chaos and
violence of partition, compassion shined through the mobs of religious fanatics
roving from village to village and contributing to the slaughter of millions.
My own grandmother for example, exchanged her home in Amritsar, India with a
Sikh family living in Faisalabad, Pakistan to ensure the safety of both families.
I believe this legacy of unity still shines through the generations after
partition in the everyday lives of Indian’s and Pakistanis (my parents did
marry each other for Pete’s sakes).
I don’t think enough people realize how
close the two nations really are in terms of history and culture. If you ask a
Pakistani who their favorite actor or actress is, I could almost guarantee they
would name a Bollywood star. However, many of these Bollywood stars vibrantly
dance to songs sung by Pakistani musicians. While there are minor differences
in Pakistani and India culture, these differences are caused by isolation from
the other nation. This isolation has only deepened the animosity between the
two countries and unfortunately cost too many lives. Despite this hatred, I
truly believe that both countries are far more alike than they care to admit. —Ibrahim A.
I really enjoyed reading your post, Ibrahim. It gives me hope for the future generations to come. Continue to travel and meet people from all walks of life.
ReplyDeleteLove, Mum.
Nice read Ibrahim. So happy you got to go on this Trip.
ReplyDeleteIbrahim, this is beautifully written, and very touching. It must have felt so strange to be there and feel the nationalistic hostility around you. It's so wonderful how you saw past it, looking underneath the surfaces, where there are experiences like that of your grandmother and the Sikh family, where there is humanity and compassion and hope. Like your mom says, you give us all hope for the future.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful and poignant reflections Ibrahim. What an experience and you offer such rich perspective. Thank you, Indira
ReplyDelete