Going into this trip, I had certain expectations and ideas
of what India was going to be like. I had seen pictures and talked to friends
about the country, but nothing could have prepared me for the culture immersion
and everyday life. After the long 14-hour plane ride from Vancouver into New
Delhi, we emerged into the warm climate lugging our suitcases behind us.
Immediately after stepping outside of the airport’s doors, we all hustled into
small and crammed TukTuks, seating three people in the backseat. As we held
onto our luggage, we wove between cars, buses, cow-drawn carts, and rickshaws,
navigating our way to our hostel. After this first TukTuk ride it began to hit
me that I was half-way across the country. The traffic and street life is so
radically different to the calm and pedestrian friendly Portland I’m used to.
Today we travelled four hours by bus to the Taj Mahal and
the Agra Fort. Thousands of tourists and locals lined outside the Taj Mahal to
take pictures and go inside to see the tomb of Mumtaz Mahal, the favorite wife of Mughal emperor Shah Jahan. The pictures of the Taj
Mahal can’t compare to standing up close to it. Later, we toured the Agra Fort
and the architecture and detailing was breathtaking. Photos will follow in the
next blog post!
—Sophie
Sophie - your stories make me feel like I'm right there! I've never been to India, but isn't it incredible how those little daily things (cab rides, street noises) sometimes are what make you most aware of how far away you are from normal? Those Taj Majal photos are incredible. I can't believe how many religious sites you all have already seen! Keep the updates coming! I'm home sipping coffee on a drizzly Portland Saturday, and these posts are such a wonderful treat!
ReplyDeleteSophie,
ReplyDeleteYou and all your classmates are starting to capture the many flavors of life is distant parts of the world ... Normal is defined in a myriad of ways and all this will make you richer for it.
Enjoy every minute of it and keep writing!