Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Education — by Grace

Education —by Grace


We started off the day at the Woodstock in Musoorie at the hostel. We started the long day of traveling by going to a school that was about 45 minutes away. The bus was far less terrifying than it was on the way to the hostel. The steep hill and constant hairpin turns on the way up made the long bus ride unpleasant and slightly nauseating. After the long bus ride to the Tibetan Homes School, we were all very excited for both the school and the chance to stretch our legs.

We visited a few classrooms of various aged students, some of whom spoke a lot of English while others spoke very little. In the classrooms I went to, I talked to a few different groups of students. I was interested in the different form of studies than what I am used to at Catlin. At this school, the majority of the students who attend are orphans and they all focus on one main subject to study that prepares them for their future. I realized the true privilege that I have to be able to have the kind of opportunity able to shape my future. From the students I talked to, many of the students were stuck in one career path from as young as 7th or 8th grade. One of the 7th graders who I talked to in a science classroom asked me about what I was going to be when I grew up, and when I told her that I wasn’t sure, she was astonished. This was the moment where I realized the difference between our cultures. Also, another girl who I talked to, explained to me that none of the girls were able to choose math as a path. There was only one girl in the math class because “it was too hard and only boys could do it”. This made me reflect even more on the opportunities at Catlin. As I went to more classrooms, I talked to more and more students. I really enjoyed being able to see the culture from the perspectives of the students instead of the teachers and other adults giving us tours. —Grace
             

3 comments:

  1. VERY interesting. Makes one not take math classes for granted. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Grace - this is a powerful post. I'm so interested to hear more about your experiences at that school, speaking with those kids. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grace, very nice post and great to see you primary interaction with students.
    Some interesting facts to consider. In 2017, nearly 52% of college students graduating with BS degrees in Science and Math were women (or girls as you might find in Indian studies). The crossover happened for the first time in 2016 and it % of women continues to rise. In addition, females tend to dominate the top ranks across the country.
    The stats for engineering are less encouraging. Females are around 30% of all engineering graduates. However these numbers are heading towards parity albeit at a lower pace.
    The corresponding numbers of US colleges and universities are less encouraging.

    ReplyDelete